Kyla is a freelance brand and innovation strategist.
She is seeking opportunities to work with ambitious
people towards building brands people care about.
Tackling complex questions by flexing between instinct, rigor and creativity. Insight development, brand development, concept development (BASES, co-creation, prototyping), product and brand naming, competitive audit, consumer research planning and moderation, brand audits, competitive analyses, experience mapping, C-Suite presentations
Harry's Inc. (NYC), May 2017 - present
Freelance Brand Strategist, Harry's and New Ventures
- Led the brand strategy function on a nimble ventures team tasked with identifying opportunities and building brands in the CPG space
- Developed a range of brand strategies to strengthen core brand equities and unlock growth for Harry's grooming
- Highlights include: Sharpening the brand positioning for cross-functional adoption and understanding, elevating the soft goods (non-razor) product portfolio with a unifying proposition, and extending the scope of brand partnerships
Redscout (NYC), Feb 2013 - May 2017
Senior Strategist (past roles include Strategist and Associate Strategist)
- Conducted consumer research, competitive and category audits, and cultural scanning and distilled into actionable insights that informed brand positioning, product proposition and innovation strategy recommendations for clients in CPG, E-commerce, Retail, and Non-profit sectors.
- Grew agency’s revenue by bringing in new business from new and existing clients through proposal development; led project teams of Associate Strategists and Strategists.
- Codified MillerCoors’ internal innovation practice and approach; invented Zumbida, an alcoholic beverage launched in Q1 2017 from insight to concept; translated theories of building brand love into MolsonCoors’ Global Marketing Communications tools.
- Developed the brand positioning strategy for a high growth start up (HelloFresh), a 130-year-old legacy brand (Avon), a non-profit (Phoenix House), and Oprah (O, That’s Good!)
Wandering Bear (NYC), Jan 2016 - April 2016
- Consulted with founders of the cold brew coffee startup on developing their brand positioning; provided counsel on packaging refresh and activation pillars development.
- Conducted in-home consumer ethnography and translated findings into implications for brand development.
?What If! Innovation Partners (NYC), June 2011 - Feb 2013
- Collaborated on developing the brand positioning and innovation pipeline for Aquaphor (Beiersdorf), brand values for new pet insurance brand (RSA), the membership experience vision for US Cellular, and a pipeline of service innovation concepts for American Express
- Designed and executed ideation and collaboration work sessions for client groups of over 20+ people
Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners (San Francisco), June 2010 - August 2010
- Used qualitative data to map the consumer car buying and hotel booking journeys and identified opportunities for MINI Cooper and Priceline.com, respectively, to optimize their service, communicate sharper messages or deliver on unmet needs.
- Investigated the Hacker subculture and developed implications and inspiration for how RadioShack should engage with or get inspired by them.
VCU Brandcenter, 2011
M.A. Communications, Creative Brand Management
Produced the 2011 AICP Call for entries campaign; MINI Cooper Independent Study
Colby College, 2007
M.S. Biology, Neuroscience
Field Hockey captain 2005, 2006; Lemon Shark Behavior Independent Study